Scheduling reports is one of the mean features for audit in GAT+. A Google Workspace admin can set up a schedule report for almost all the data of the domain.
Those reports then can be automatically sent to Admins of the domain in a timely manner such as daily, weekly, monthly, etc.
In the Scheduled reports for Google Drive, an Admin can create reports for the “Drive” files and take action on them automatically on the backend without needing the Admin to interfere.
On Drive Scheduled reports an Admin can take action and automatically remove Shares from the files, without constant interference by the Admin.
In the example below, we will apply a filter to find the Shared Out files, set a Schedule report, and apply an action for the Shares to be removed automatically.
Note: The action of removing permissions can be applied on any filter and any files you would like
Navigate to GAT+ → Files → Apply custom filter
A pop-up window will be displayed.
Enter the filter:
- Sharing out (Relative) older than X days = 14 (2 weeks)
The filter is for the DATE the File was Shared Out to external user – The Event of Sharing Out a file
This will show all files that were Shared out before the X days (older than X days).
Note: You can apply any other filter to find files Shared Out
Result of the filter
Click on “Apply” and the result will be displayed. All the files that have been Shared Out prior to the last 14 days (2 weeks). All the files that have been shared out and are older than 14 days.
You can enable to view Shared out date – by using the Column visibility option and enabling the “Shared Out” field
Note: Filter by Shared Out flag in the User Interface (GAT+ Drive table) there is a difference between Shared Out and Updated.
- Shared Out – time when the File was Shared Out – with external permission
- Updated – time when the file was updated
Set a scheduled report
When the result is found with all the files that are “Shared out – older than 2 weeks”, an Admin can set up a Scheduled report.
Apply the filter option again and click on the “Scheduled” button.
- Scheduled – enable the Scheduled report option
- Export time – select the export type
- Occurrence – select the occurrence of when the report is to be generated
- Enabled – enable or disable the report
- Recipients – enter the recipients of the alert (default value will be the Admin who created the rule)
- Output type – select the output type
- Custom path and filename – enter the custom path and filename for the report
- Action if no result – select any of the available options
- Apply & Schedule – set up the scheduled report
When the report is Scheduled you can set up an action to be taken.
Automatic removal of the Shares based on the Filter applied.
Navigate to GAT+ → Configuration → Scheduled reports
A new window will be displayed, fill in the required details.
- General – remove internal and external shares
- Internal – remove internal shares
- External – remove external shares
- Replace – replace existing permissions
For this example select the External option
- Chose option – Remove all external shares
- Configure – Status
- Enabled or disable the report
- Report only – Permission will not be changed. Only a report will be generated with affected files. Select if you want to only notify users
- Notify local users – select to notify local users
- Save settings
The scheduled report will be set and action will be taken based on the filter applied and options selected.
The above example:
- A scheduled report is generated for Files Shared Out – older than 14 days.
- The result will include all files that have been Shared Out – before 14 days
- Based on the Scheduled report action is to be taken automatically.
- The report is set to run every weekend
- The report will take action on the files (found by the filter)
- All the external shares will be removed (based on the result from the filter applied (Shared out (relative) older than 14 days)
Important: The “occurance” will be moved auto-forwarded and when it runs “next saturday” and checks “older than 14 days” – will include one more week. And the “filter will be moved” to include the new passed week.
The result of the removal of permissions will be shown under the Admin Log.
View the “Permission change” and click on the “eye” icon to view more details.
What files were affected and by which user.
To request a demo please click here and fill the form, we will get back to you in less than 12 hours during weekdays.
If you trailed GAT in the past and would like to run a fresh trial again, please inquire through this form.