A Shared-in file is a file where the owner is an external user from another Google Workspace domain.
These users appear within GAT+ highlighted in an orange color, and if they own the file their email appears under the Owner heading.
Navigate to the GAT+ → Drive audit → Files tab
First seen in GAT
In GAT we have filters:
- First seen in GAT+
- First seen in GAT+ (relative)
These filters combined with Sharing Flag = Shared In can tell when the files were shared into your domain.
Note: This will only show files Shared into the domain when GAT+ is installed. It won’t go back in time and check when files where first seen or Shared into the domain. However, if GAT+ is installed, it will show the first time they were seen in GAT and will keep records of it onwards. Using this method an Admin can see when a file was initially Shared into their domain (given that they have GAT+ installed at that time).
- Sharing flags contain ‘Shared In’
- First seen in GAT (relative) in the last X days – enter a value
This will show you all the files that were “Shared in” to your domain in the last 7 days
This scheduled report will produce a Google Spreadsheet of the most recently shared-in files each week. These are new files that GAT+ has identified as shared-in.
Since Google’s API does not provide information on shared-in files, GAT+ has developed its own method to identify them.
How to create the weekly scheduled report?
1.In the ‘Drive audit> Files tab’ of GAT+, create a custom filter search. Click on the ‘Apply custom filter’ button.
2. Use the below search parameters within the search definition box.
3.Make sure to select Scheduled. Once enabled, more options will appear:
- Export type → Drive Files
- Occurrence → Every weekend
- Enabled → Yes
- Recipients → User who should get this report
- Output type → CSV – Google Drive (recommended)
- Custom path and file name → Placing the report into a defined folder, if it doesn’t exist will be automatically generated.
- Action for no results → If Spreadsheet has no results you can define if an empty Spreadsheet is really needed.
4.Make sure to press Apply & Schedule.
Every weekend, a new report will be generated. The Google Sheet will contain all the newly discovered Shared files for the previous 7 days
Below you will see the Owner (is external) – meaning it’s Shared In. Also, the Sharing flag is Shared in (Shared into your domain from external one).
To request a demo please click here and fill the form. We’ll get back to you in less than 12 hours during weekdays.
If you trailed GAT in the past and you would like to run a fresh trial again, please enquire through this form.