Delegate a User to Access Another User’s Gmail Account
With GAT+ Super Admins or Delegated Auditors can give user access into another user’s Gmail account for a specified period of time after which the delegation is automatically removed.
This may be for business purposes but it is also to facilitate the fast search and viewing of all the account emails via another user’s browser.
What is eMail delegate?
A Gmail user can grant mailbox access to another user in the same Google Workspace organization. More info can be found here
Reasons for delegating access to users Gmail
- To audit/remediate an incident
- Email delegation is a better way to gain access rather than resetting users password to gain access
- If a user has forgotten to set up their auto-reply when they are on leave or on holidays
- To create or modify a user’s email signature
Note: Please ensure email delegation is allowed for users in your domain.
Google workspace – Enable Mail delegation
Go to the Google Admin Console and select ‘Apps’ → ‘Google Workspace ’ – ‘Settings for Gmail’ – ‘User Settings’ check if the Mail Delegation box is ticked off and allowed for your domain.
Add Email delegation via GAT+
Navigate to GAT+ → Users → Email Info
Search for the user whose Gmail account will be delegated to someone else, click on the drop-down menu and select ‘Add e-mail delegation’.
Fill in the required details.
- Delegate – Enter the user who will have Delegated email access
- To fully access the mailbox of – the selected user will be displayed
- Valid time (hours) – select for how long the Email delegation will be set
- Set to 0 – to be valid indefinitely
- Set any number of hours
- Click on “Send request“
The request will be sent to your security officer for approval, once approved the delegation will be set.
The delegated account appears in the accounts drop-down list in the user’s own Gmail account.
Note: This can take several minutes and may require a refresh from the user’s end.
User who’s email has been delegated
When the Email delegation is set – the end-user can see this information under their account.
- Navigate to Gmail → Settings → Accounts → Grant access to your account – the account owner will see that the Admin has granted delegated access to the account.
Note: If the delegated user reads any unopened email in the audited account, this email will be marked as ‘read’.
To request a demo please click here and fill the form, we will get back to you in less than 12 hours during weekdays.
If you trailed GAT in the past and you would like to run a fresh trial again, please enquire through this form.