Project Description📖 < 1 min read
Google is launching a beta for a new API to manage company-owned and personal mobile devices and desktop devices. It will work for devices managed via fundamental management, endpoint verification, Drive File Steam, and enhanced desktop security for Windows. Find out more about device management in Google Workspace.
The new API is part of the Cloud Identity API, and will eventually replace the Admin SDK Directory API used to manage mobile devices.
Admins and developers
Why you’d use it
The new API includes all the capabilities of the Admin SDK Directory API it will replace. In addition, it adds these new features over and above the Admin SDK:
- Ability to create and manage company owned devices
- Ability to manage Windows devices registered with the Google Credential Provider for Windows
- Ability to manage desktop services such as those with the “Endpoint Verification” extension or those with Drive File Stream installed on them
- Admins and developers: This beta is available by default. See our API documentation to learn more.
- End users: No impact for end users.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on July 23, 2020
- The beta is open to all Google Workspace customers.
Thanks for sharing and spreading the word!