Project Description📖 < 1 min read
Google is making it easier to identify, audit, and understand indirect group membership via the Cloud Identity Groups API. Specifically, the membership visibility and membership hierarchy APIs is generally available now. These were previously available in beta.
Using “nested” groups to manage access to content and resources can help decrease duplication, simplify administration, and centralize access management. However, nested groups can create a complex hierarchy that can make it hard to understand who ultimately has access and why. These APIs help provide all of the information you need to understand complex group structures and hierarchies, and can help you make decisions about who to add to or remove from your groups.
See Google’s beta announcement for more information and use cases for the APIs.
- Admins and developers: See Google’s developer documentation for more details on the Cloud Identity Groups API and the Membership Hierarchy and Visibility API Guide.
- End users: End users can use the API within the scope they have to create and manage groups. See Google’s developer documentation for more details on how to use the Cloud Identity Groups API.
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Full rollout (1–3 days for feature visibility) starting on January 28, 2020.
- Available to Google Workspace Enterprise Standard and Enterprise Plus, as well as Google Workspace Enterprise for Education and Cloud Identity Premium customers.
- Not available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, and Enterprise Essentials, as well as Google Workspace Basic, Business, Education, and Nonprofits customers
Thanks for sharing and spreading the word!