Project Description📖 2 mins read
You can now share folders in shared drives. Previously, this feature was available in beta.
Shared drives empower teams and organizations to store, access, and collaborate on files. With this launch, you can share a specific folder with other users, or upgrade member access to provide users with additional permissions on specific folders within shared drives.
At launch, the feature is available via Drive on the web, the Drive API, Drive File Stream (v. 42+) and the latest Google Drive apps for iOS (v. 4.2020.36202+) and Android (v. 2.20.321+). It will be available through the native file system on ChromeOS with an upcoming release.
See Google’s beta announcement for more details and examples of how you could use the feature.
Some updates and reminders from the beta post:
- Commenter role available in My Drive: In order to align My Drive and shared drives, ‘Commenter’ 22roles will now be available for folders in My Drive. Previously, only Viewer and Editor were available.
- Manager role required to move folders between shared drives: Moving folders between shared drives is only allowed for users who are managers on both the original as well as the target location.
- Admins: This feature will be available for all domains with Shared Drives enabled. Visit the Help Center to learn more about how to manage shared drives for your organization, and how to use folder sharing in shared drives.
- End users: This feature will be available to all users with shared drives. Visit the Help Center to learn more about how to store and share files with shared drives.
- Available to Google Workspace Business, Google Workspace Enterprise, Google Workspace for Education, Google Workspace Enterprise for Education, Google Workspace for Nonprofits, and Google Workspace Essentials customers
- Not available to Google Workspace Basic customers
- This feature was listed as an upcoming Google Workspace release.
Thanks for sharing and spreading the word!