Why you’d use it
Google Workspace’s globally distributed cloud infrastructure reduces latency and protects data with geo redundancy, so most organizations choose not to geo-restrict their data. If, however, your organization has preferences as to where its data is stored at rest, data regions can help you achieve your compliance goals.
- Admins: Data location is OFF by default and can be enabled at the group or OU level. However, when this launch is rolled out to your domain, Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides user indices will automatically be migrated to comply with existing U.S. data location policies you’ve set up. Visit the Help Center to learn more about how to choose a geographic location for your data.
- End users: No end user impact.
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on March 1, 2021
- Available to Google Workspace Enterprise Plus and Education Plus customers
- Not available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, or Education Fundamentals, or Google Workspace Basic, Business, or Nonprofits customers