📖 2 mins read
You can now deploy and manage Google Credential Provider for Windows (GCPW) in the Admin console.
Previously, you had to edit registry entries to manage GCPW. The new, organization-specific installation file and setting management in the Admin console makes it easier to deploy and manage GCPW in your organization.
Why you’d use it
GCPW is an aspect of Enhanced desktop security for Windows that makes using Windows 10 devices with Google Workspace easier and more secure. Once set up, users can:
- Sign in to a Microsoft Windows 10 device using their Google Workspace Account.
- Take advantage of security protections on Windows 10 devices, including 2-step verification (2SV) and login challenges.
- Access Google Workspace and other single sign-on (SSO) apps without the need to re-enter their credentials.
With this launch, you can configure and manage GCPW in the Admin console instead of in each device’s registry settings. This can make setting up and updating GCPW deployments less manual and time-consuming for if you don’t have standard software deployment tools.
Device setup and management: To set up GCPW on a new device, download a GCPW installation file customized for your company from the Admin console. After GCPW is installed, you can manage GCPW settings in the Admin console. When a user signs in to a device managed with GCPW, GCPW fetches and applies the settings from in the Admin console. GCPW settings in the Admin console may take up to one hour to be implemented on the device. If you already installed GCPW on a device, you can set a token to manage GCPW from the Admin console.
Settings available in the Admin console: You can manage most of the settings in the Admin console that you can in registry settings, including offline access, multiple account management, and more.
Working with existing registry settings: Admin console settings supersede registry settings. To continue to use registry settings instead of Admin console settings, leave GCPW settings in the Admin console as “not configured.”
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on January 11, 2021
- Available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus, as well as Google Workspace Basic, Business, Education, Enterprise for Education, and Nonprofits customers.
Thanks for sharing and spreading the word!